Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tatjana: response to question 2

American Values: Agree and Disagree
                  When I read about American values and culture I find out a lot of interesting things. One of them is very important for both Americans and people of my country – it is individualism. I agree with this value because I know exactly that if I want to do something well, I often have to do it myself. We can have a lot of good friends and relatives.  But once we decide to start our own business, for example, we will realize that they should not be members of the team for lots of reasons. One of  these reasons is clear - most of us are competitive. Therefore, each of us wants to be number one in its own business, which means that somebody has to be number two. However, it is very difficult to offer friends or relatives to be number two. Therefore, we will rather take another person from the outside than to risk losing a friend.
                  I think it is not bad that people can be self-reliant. Also, it is not bad that people  must help themselves and not rely on others for help. In this case the people become rugged. They believe in their own power and ability, and they believe that their success depends only on their effort.
                 However, I do not agree that people have to change all things often. In my opinion, it is so nice to have something lasting, something special, old, and antique. Over the years all things can become treasure which makes an owner of this treasure different from other people.

No comments: